Wednesday, August 16, 2006

What's Wrong With America?

America the beautiful is like a well brushed, dutifully flossed, and rigorously gargled tooth. She's porcelain white and perfectly shaped, and yet beneath that flawless enamel there is an abscess festering. We have felt the first warning pangs when the cold water hits, and they're growing more frequent. I see it in our culture, our attitudes, our outlook toward our neighbors, and deep within each of us, eating away at the roots of our dignity and self worth.

I saw it this morning driving to work. It didn't seem like much at first, but as the day wore on and the image gnawed inside my gut, I decided to return to the intersection with my camera, so I could share it with you. Blame it on our lacking work ethic, or on the mayor of Colorado Springs, or on the collapse of traditional family values, or on the prevalence of right-wing fundamentalism. I'll let the image speak for itself.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phelps said...

Don't get it? They painted a stripe over a PIECE OF TRASH. (In this case a 4-foot scrap of carpet without the slightest inclination to drag it out of the road before painting.)

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could I have the carpet? It would look cool wrapped around my Lionel Rivera shrine of the world's most famous homophobes.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am forced to point out that the person who wrote the above comment is not James Dobson, since I am James Dobson. I am a total clueless dweeb and the person above seems capable of nuanced dialog.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's obvious that neither of you are me, the real James Dobson. I am not subtle or nuanced and prefer not to use faggotty words like nuanced, you darn Frenchies.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter