Tuesday, June 05, 2007

As the Bush Turns - Chapter 43

INT. Ambassador Gregorovich's study - Night

The ornate library is dimly lit with candles on the desk and tables. It's raining. Lightning flashes as George slips through the study door in his stately formal tuxedo, nursing a Scotch on the rocks. He examines the room then nonchalantly leafs through papers on the desk.

GEORGE (to himself)
If I had time, Gregorovich, I'd leave you a present. Maybe a steamy presidential package in your top drawer. Heh, heh.

A section of bookshelves slides inward, revealing a secret passage. Vladimir cautiously enters, also wearing a tux. His eyes are red. He's been crying. He walks straight to the window.

GEORGE
I'm glad you were, uh, able to slip away
from the other guests to see me.

Vladimir stares out the window, clutching the heavy drapes.

GEORGE
What's the matter, Pootie?

VLADIMIR
You know vhat is the matter. You...

George sets his drink down and sidles behind Vladimir.

GEORGE
Tell me.

VLADIMIR
You, you vant to block my missile. You do not trust me.

GEORGE
No. Never.

VLADIMIR
Then vhy do you sit with that Gordon Brown?

GEORGE
He's nobody. Just the new kid on the block. It's just for show.

VLADIMIR
I do not think I can trust you anymore.

GEORGE
Don't say that, Pootie. You know you don't mean it. We have something. Something big. Something special. No one can take it away from us.

VLADIMIR
But the shield. You vant to push me avay. I feel, I feel betrayed.

Vladimir breaks down and buries his face in the heavy drapes. Lightning flashes.

George gently massages Vladimir's shoulders.

GEORGE
Trust me. The missile shield is for your evil brothers, Uzbek and Belarus. It was never meant for you.

VLADIMIR
But -

GEORGE
Shh. Remember the first time we met? How I looked into your eyes and -

VLADIMIR
Looked into my soul?

George gives Vladimir's shoulders a comforting squeeze and leans close to whisper in his ear.

GEORGE
Tonight, after the state dinner, meet me in the topiary garden. We can talk more there.

VLADIMIR
Like we used to.

GEORGE
Yes, Pootie. Like we used to. I'll make it right between us.

George looks at his reflection in the rain-splattered window. A crack of lightning illuminates a surprised Gordon Brown standing in the opening to the secret passage with a highball glass of Scotch on the rocks.


George and Vladimir spin around, caught. Shell-shocked, Gordon drops his drink.

Cut to
Swiffer commercial.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter