Sunday, May 30, 2004

Jon Stewart: America’s Most Insightful Pundit

Remember when trusted figures like Walter Cronkite delivered real news instead of the poison water borne by right-wing lackeys like Bill O’Reilly? Today, the sharpest and most honest people in the news are actually comedians.

Witness Jon Stewart’s hilariously thought-provoking address to this year’s grads at William and Mary. Here’s a snippet:

* * *
Lets talk about the real world for a moment. We had been discussing it earlier, and I…I wanted to bring this up to you earlier about the real world, and this is I guess as good a time as any. I don’t really know to put this, so I’ll be blunt. We broke it.

Please don’t be mad. I know we were supposed to bequeath to the next generation a world better than the one we were handed. So, sorry.

I don’t know if you’ve been following the news lately, but it just kinda got away from us. Somewhere between the gold rush of easy internet profits and an arrogant sense of endless empire, we heard kind of a pinging noise, and uh, then the damn thing just died on us. So I apologize.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter